The days are getting longer and, surprisingly for England, warmer and sunnier! It’s also the time when orchids spring into their growing season. Sundays are usually a watering day for me and this morning I found that my orchids are putting their energy into lots of new growth. Even one of my species orchids has created a new root and has the beginnings of a new leaf!
Not for the first time this year, I’ve had to open my ‘orchid hospital’ to help fix an unhealthy orchid.
About a week or so ago, I purchased a Cattleya orchid from an orchid show along with a new Miltoniopsis orchid. Both are fairly young plants so I don’t expect either of them to bloom any time soon. I did notice that there appears to be some indicators that the Cattleya orchid may need some T.L.C. but this is fine with me. Whilst it was still in its original pot, I did spray the tops of the roots with hydrogen peroxide 3% to help remove any moulds, algae etc that may be lurking in the pot. Hydrogen peroxide reacts to moulds and fungus if they are present – there was a lot of fizzing so I’m guessing there was a lot of things in this pot that shouldn’t really be there.