Some of you may remember that I was attempting to rescue an orchid using water culture several weeks back (may be longer by now). This orchid was severely dehydrated, had no root system and its new growth was beginning to give up. Here is an update on this orchid…
Occasionally Phalaenopsis orchids may fall foul of a type of rot. There are many different types that can affect orchids, but this time, we appear to be dealing with stem rot. At the base of this Phalaenopsis orchid there is a small patch of black tissue, which appeared after the bottom three leaves turned yellow and fell off. One leaf at a time is normal – but three? No.
At some stage in your orchid hobby, you will come across a plant that has a diminished root system. This is something that seems to occur quite a lot with orchids sold through gardening stores, supermarkets etc. It can also happen to orchids that have been in your home for some months.
Not for the first time this year, I’ve had to open my ‘orchid hospital’ to help fix an unhealthy orchid.
About a week or so ago, I purchased a Cattleya orchid from an orchid show along with a new Miltoniopsis orchid. Both are fairly young plants so I don’t expect either of them to bloom any time soon. I did notice that there appears to be some indicators that the Cattleya orchid may need some T.L.C. but this is fine with me. Whilst it was still in its original pot, I did spray the tops of the roots with hydrogen peroxide 3% to help remove any moulds, algae etc that may be lurking in the pot. Hydrogen peroxide reacts to moulds and fungus if they are present – there was a lot of fizzing so I’m guessing there was a lot of things in this pot that shouldn’t really be there.